It’s that time of year again which means many of us are busy thinking about what New Year's Resolutions to set while trying to survive the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. According to U.S. News & World Report, the failure rate for New Year's resolutions is said to be about 80 percent, and most lose their resolve by mid-February. Rather than setting yourself up for failure with unrealistic New Year’s Resolutions, perhaps we focus on our intentions instead.
Intentions differ from goals and resolutions because intentions are more about the feelings we want to feel! With that said, I want to share with you my top 10 personal intentions for 2020 to feel love, peace, happiness, and fulfillment!
1) Practice Forgiveness - Forgiveness is true freedom; most people define forgiveness through forgiving a person and/or their behavior. However, there is so much more to forgiveness! In order to find inner peace and have the ability to love, you must learn to practice forgiveness with others AND with yourself. Forgiveness allows you to become less of a victim and you can open up your heart to love instead of anger and fear.
2) Practice Self Care
Practicing self care means you nourish yourself daily with healthy activities; exercise, healthy sleeping habits, proper nutrition, and healthy social interactions, with lots of time for fun, adventure, and relaxation. There is a reason the flight attendants tell us to put the mask on ourselves first!!!
2) Unconditional Self Love
Practicing unconditional self love means you love yourself unconditionally, despite your deepest darkest mistakes and imperfections. When you love yourself, you are not cruel to yourself. You don’t beat yourself up. You take care of yourself and tame your inner critic’s negative self talk.
4) Setting Boundaries - Setting boundaries helps us to identify what is, and isn’t good for us, and helps us to gain the clarity we need to understand what we will, and will not accept in life. Setting boundaries allows us to live intentionally with both purpose and design.
5) Clear the Clutter - Mind and Space
External clutter in our lives can add to internal clutter and stress in our minds. It may seem tedious to spend time sifting through household clutter, but it can be a cleansing process that purges mental clutter and frees us up to move on in life. Clearing the clutter allows us to free up space, time and emotional baggage.
6) Emotional Balance
Finding emotional balance allows you to take responsibility for your emotions and experience both the negative and the positive emotions in a healthy manner. Mastering your emotions means you don’t avoid, resist or react to your emotions, you experience them. You become aware and accept that life is full of positive and negative emotions. Part of being human means accepting the full spectrum of emotions without attempting to be “fake” happy all the time.
7) Commit to Taking Action
Committing to taking action means you don’t just think and talk about it - you actually do it! Instead of reading, learning and consuming information all of the time, you balance it by actually taking action. You know that to get real results in life, you must take real action, so stop thinking and talking about your grand ideas and take small action steps to make change happen!
8) Contribution - Giving Back
Contribution is one of the 6 human needs and one that is often neglected. If you have ever volunteered your time or helped contribute to society in any manner, then you understand how helping others helps YOU to feel good! You will want to find a way to give back that actually ignites your passion. While you are busy giving, you become overwhelmed with feelings of goodness and joy! This doesn’t mean you have to go build homes in a 3rd world country, simply find something you believe in and help make a difference while feeding your confidence and self worth!
9) Attitude of Gratitude
Practicing gratitude means making a habit of expressing appreciation and thanks. Keep a daily gratitude journal and write down the things you are grateful for, excited about or proud of yourself for! Acknowledge your accomplishments rather than comparing yourself to others. Acknowledge others daily for helping, comforting or inspiring you. Don’t just think or write gratitude, speak it! Share it!!
10) Be Giving. Give the gift of listening, forgiveness, appreciation, and acceptance! The only thing in life we have control over is ourselves, our thoughts and our actions. We know we can't change others, only ourselves, so instead of reacting to your cousin making that same not so funny joke AGAIN, give him lots of laughter. Instead of being resentful that your sister is not helping clear the dishes, show your appreciation by helping anyway. Instead of shutting down as your aunt goes on and on about how successful your cousins are, listen and nod appreciatively. This isn't about changing who you are, it's about giving your family the wonderful gift of your attention and acceptance and seeing what happens…
The greatest gift you can give someone is your undivided attention!
Happy Holidays my friends! I hope you’ll join me in setting life enhancing intentions for 2020! Let me know in the comments what intentions YOU will be setting!
Let's make 2020 a year of exceptional mental health and wellness!!!
P.S. If you are interested in setting GOALS, I suggest you wait until after the new year and don’t label them New Year’s Resolutions. Start by learning HOW to set achievable, smarter goals and identify what needs to be prioritized.
As a special holiday gift, I’m offering a 50% discount on my Life Planning & Goal Setting e-Course which comes with 30 minutes of one on one live video coaching to help you set your both your intentions and goals for 2020!
Use Discount Code GOAL at check out to receive your 50% off discount.
Additionally, if you would like to learn more about Mental Wellness and Life Enhancement Coaching I offers a free 15 minute Clarity Call to help get you pointed in the right direction.
I'll be on holiday vacation for a bit but my calendar opens back up on January 8th!!! I'm looking forward to returning home to a full calendar of scheduled Clarity Calls so book your call today!!!